All Muslim ministers in the UNF-led government resigned, yesterday. They had done so to allow the government to bring about reconciliation and conduct an impartial investigation into various allegations, Sri Lanka Muslim Congress (SLMC) Leader, Rauff Hakeem told the media at Temple Trees.

The decision had been taken after a lengthy discussion with Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe and others, Hakeem said.

Hakeem requested the government to have an investigation conducted by the CID into the allegations and take legal action within one month if there was ample evidence.

The Muslim community and the politicians who represented them had fully cooperated with the authorities to ensure the safety of the country following the Easter Sunday Bombings, and attacks on Muslims had to be condemned, Hakeem said.

Although they had resigned from their ministerial posts, they would not resort to any action that would weaken the government, Hakeem said, adding that they would protect the government as backbenchers.

The Muslim community expected them to do so, Hakeem said. Muslims were extremely worried about and scared of the developments during the last several days and it was not fair to vilify the entire community for the actions of a few, he added.

Hakeem said he did not believe that any solution could be reached through parliamentary select committees and there had to be an immediate CID investigation into the allegations at issue.

UNP General Secretary Kabir Hashim said that it was hurtful that there were allegations that they had attempted to hamper investigations into terrorist activities. He said they had, therefore, given up their ministerial portfolios.
(under the courtesy of island.lk news web)